Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Indian Mounds


           The Ocmulgee Indian Mounds located in the fall line city, Macon, GA, is an ancient civilization that consists of seven mounds and associated plazas. Fall line cities are on areas where the upland region of the Piedmont meets the Atlantic Coastal Plain. The people believed to have built and occupied these mounds were believed to be Muskogean speakers and were later named Creek Indians by Europeans. According to a migration legend passed along by the Creek Indians, they originally came from a place farther west that had many earthquakes and some of the Indians decided to leave and travel further eastward to find where the sun rose. They traveled until they reached a volcano and decided to settle down in what is currently known as Macon after meeting three nations that taught them about herbs and other things.
            My experience at the Indian Mounds was very relaxing. I certainly did get some walking in but it was worth it to reach the top of one of the mounds. It was a beautiful day and I even saw a few classmates whistle with a piece a grass. It was not something I tried but it was interesting to watch. I could see all over Macon from the top of the mound. It reminded me of the first time my O-group went up to the tower in the Administrative Building at Mercer and we had this beautiful view from everywhere in the tower. I would recommend the mounds as a place to relax. For anyone looking to further explore the mounds, visit http://lostworlds.org/ocmulgee_mounds/ .



No comments:

Post a Comment